Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pin-spired! Key hooks.

 

I love Pinterest . . . that is no secret!  I've been eyeing several projects that inspired today's plan.  We've been needing a place to hang our keys, and I knew I could come up with something fun with the help of Pinterest.  After eyeing more than a few projects, this is what I settled on . . .

It will hang near the door and give our keys a safe place to land!  But first . . . the "ingredients" . . .
I started with a plain pine "inn keeper" sign that I purchased at Michael's for about $7 and two 12x12 sheets of scrapbook paper.  I'm a big fan of maps, traveling, and color . . . this paper made me grin right there in the middle of the aisle.  I also needed Modge Podge (or some version of it, I purchased the ArtMinds Decoupage Glue Sealer version because it was $3 cheaper), a sponge brush, acrylic paint, a small chunk of sandpaper, and hooks.  Total cost was $7+$6+$0.70+$3 . . . $16.70, but not really since I have 8 hooks left for another project (and there WILL be other projects) and copious amounts of decoupage for said projects.  I also already had a sponge brush and sandpaper.  All said and done, I'm better this whole thing cost me about $9, without getting all math-y, 'cause I just don't feel like it.

First I cut the paper to fit the board.  I had to do this in two chunks since it wasn't long enough.  I also cut it slightly narrower than the board, so that I wouldn't have issues with paper hanging over, etc.

Repeat with the second sheet of scrapbook paper so that you have 4 pieces of paper to fit, 2 for the top and 2 for the bottom.

Now remove the paper and paint.  I choose a bright tealish blue color called Bahama Blue, just for fun.  (My kitchen, where I'm hanging this, is a sort of burnt orange color, and I adore the contrast of teal and orange.)

One coat was plenty, just be sure to get the edges well.

(Black Friday ads proved to be a good table protector.  I'm not one to go overboard on these things.  I'd rather just cross my fingers that I don't regret it later . . . call me lazy if you want.  Or not.  I call it practical . . . time saving, right?)

Once the paint dries, lightly sand the sides.  I chose not to do the top and bottom, just didn't see the point.  You're going for the "weathered" look here . . . keep it simple.


Next lay out your paper, choosing one piece to be the base on both the top and the bottom.
Decoupage those puppies down, pressing gently while making sure that you don't have any bubbles in the paper.  I did the back first and let it dry, and then brushed half of the top at a time (along with the sides), pressing the paper down before brushing the other half and sides.  Once the paper completely covered the top, I took the other two top / bottom pieces and tore them at different angles.


Spread more decoupage over the top of the paper that has already been glued down.  Add several of the torn pieces to the top, fitting them carefully from side to side so that they don't hang off of the edge.  The patterns shouldn't match, that's the point, and you're also covering the seam of the top and bottom base papers.





Decoupage over the whole thing again, top, bottom, and sides.  Then add hooks.  I found mine (a 12 pack) at Target.  I chose the oil rubbed bronze version since that is the theme we've got going on in our home.  I started 3 1/2 inches from the top, found the center, and screwed in the first one.  Next, I measured up 3 1/2 inches from the bottom, found the center, and screwed in the bottom hook.  Then, I measured the space in between and divided it by 3 (all the while thinking about how I can't wait to tell my fourth graders about how useful it was that I knew how to use a tape measure AND divide . . . see?!  "Math is important," I said to myself, even if I avoided it while figuring out the exact cost of this project.)  Screw in the remaining hooks where they belong, dividing that space up as evenly as possible so that it doesn't make you crazy when you're staring at it on the wall. 

Viola!  I'll be honest in saying that I still don't have mine hung on the wall.  I thought we had some picture hangers, but it turns out we don't, so I will have to stop at the hardware store tomorrow after work to take care of that.

At any rate . . . I'm pretty excited about my craftiness!  You could definitely skip the hook part of this project and add letters, a favorite quote, or something.  On to the next thing . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment