Wednesday, July 2, 2014

DIY: Liquid Laundry Detergent {my favorite}

Several people have asked, so I'm blogging this bad boy.  We found a version on Pinterest and modified it just a bit.  I can't say if it was because it was just easier to remember or something else, but our final product works well, is much better for Mama Earth and our health than most store-bought version, and is crazy inexpensive, which is always a perk.

{You'll need . . .}
large container(s) - we use two of those 200+ oz.containers that we saved from our detergent-buying days
borax - found near detergents at the store
super washing soda - harder to find, but same spot in the store; both also on Amazon, but cheaper in-store
soap - you can use Castille soap or Dawn dish soap; we've been using Dawn because, frankly, we need to degreasing power with two boys and a hard working hubby (I realize this isn't completely green, but without phosphates and with biodegradable surfactants, it is better than lots of other options)
warm water
a small funnel is helpful
tablespoon

{Ready?}

  1. Fill your container(s) about 1/4 of the way full with warm water.
  2. Measure 4 Tablespoons of each (borax, super washing soda, soap) into the container.  The funnel is handy here!
  3. Put the cap on and shake.
  4. Fill with more warm water until bubbles appear at the top.  This is where I let it sit for a while (could be hours, whatever time you have is fine) until the bubble settle down.  Fill with more warm water.  If you fill slowly, the bubbles won't be as crazy.  You don't want the bubbles to run all over, try to keep the soap IN the container.
  5. Use a capful or two, depending on the cleaning power you need.
{Another tip . . .}
I don't love fabric softener.  It is chemical filled and clings to clothes in a way that grosses me out.  Instead, we use vinegar in the softener well in the wash.  Works like a charm and you don't smell it after everything is dry!  If you love the smell of fresh laundry though, you can use regular softener with your DIY detergent.  I usually have a bottle on hand for those times when I'm craving warm, scented sheets on my bed.  I've also tried to add essential oils to my detergent with mixed results.  I'll probably try again, but haven't found anything that I love or a scent that lasts after drying.

No comments:

Post a Comment