Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Before and After

Not long ago, I asked on a local Facebook page if anyone was looking to sell an old end table.  We had a need in our living room after reorganizing, and I had a hankering to do something crafty.  I also love, love, love the idea of reusing old things for so many reasons, so I was especially excited when one of the sweetest, most genuine people I know (with whom I'm also fortunate enough to share a school . . . we're both teachers) offered me one that she had . . . for a simple "pay it forward".  THAT I can do.  It's the very, very best kind of generosity, the kind that keeps giving.  (I'll report back when I pay it forward specifically with this lovely table in mind, Mrs. McN!)

After taking down the Christmas tree today, I really wanted to get to work to fill the space and have a functional table where we needed one.  Here's what I started with . . .


Not a bad little table by any means, just one that has been loved over the years and one that I was anxious to transform into something that "fit" into our living room.  I hit it with some 100 grit sandpaper, next came a can of Rust-Oleum spray paint in Dark Walnut with a satin finish, and finally a little more sandpaper on the edges and . . . finished!  Oh, and because I'm a huge fan of the little things, I added a square of one of my favorite scrapbook patterns for a pop of orange inside the drawer.  (And in my excitement I couldn't even wait for the modge podge to dry completely . . . )


Finally, here's the finished project!  I'm in love!  I have my eye on a square basket that should fit perfectly in the bottom cubby.  Here's to fun new furniture that will remind me to "pay it forward" every time I look at it!  (Thanks Mrs. McN!!!)



BEFORE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AFTER



No comments:

Post a Comment